Lawn Prep: Aeration
Aerating is an important part of having a healthy lawn. Aeration allows water and air to reach the rootzone of the grass more quickly, spurring growth and root development. Lawns that are aerated will be healthier and easier to maintain. They also have fewer pest problems.
It’s recommended that a lawn be aerated when your lawn is actively growing so it can recover quickly. Most home lawns benefit from annual aeration, while heavily used lawns or those growing on heavy clay or subsoils may need to be aerated twice a year. Spring through fall is a good time to aerate. Aerating at the wrong time can leave space for aggressive weeds to seed and grow.
Benefits of core aeration are:
- Improved air exchange between the soil and the atmosphere
- Enhanced soil water uptake
- Improved fertilizer uptake and use
- Reduced water runoff and puddling
- Stronger turfgrass roots
- Reduced soil compaction
- Enhanced heat and drought stress tolerance
- Enhanced thatch breakdown
- Increased turf density
Huebner’s Lawn Service is now offering core aeration for lawns. To learn more, give us a call at (308) 532-6100.